UCEEDUnder Graduate Common Entrance Examination
- Test Level-: National Level
- Eligibility-: 12th
- Duration-:3 Hours
- Stream-: Engineering
- Medium-: English
- Examination Mode-: Online
Admissions to the Bachelor of Design (B.Des) programmes at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati and IIITDM Jabalpur are done through the Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED). Students who have passed Class XII (or equivalent) in 2017, or appearing in 2018, in ANY STREAM (Science, Commerce, or Arts & Humanities) are eligible to appear for UCEED 2018.
Eligibility Criteria for Applying for B.Des
To apply for admission, an applicant is required to fulfil the following 3 criteria
CRITERION 1 – AGE LIMIT:
The candidate should have been born on or after October 1, 1998 if belonging to the OPEN or OBC-NCL category and, on or after October 1, 1993 if belonging to the SC, ST or PwD category.
CRITERION 2 – UCEED QUALIFICATION:
The candidate should have qualified, i.e., obtained a rank in UCEED 2018.
CRITERION 3 – QUALIFYING EXAMINATION:
he candidate should have passed the qualifying examination (Class XII or equivalent) in 2017 or 2018. Those who appeared for the first time in their qualifying examination in 2016 or earlier are NOT eligible
Candidates from the Science Stream with Physics, Chemistry and Maths as subjects are eligible to apply to all the three institutes. Candidates from any other stream (Science without Maths or Physics or Chemistry, Commerce, and Arts & Humanities) are eligible to apply to only IIT Bombay and IIITDM Jabalpur.
The candidates appearing for their qualifying examination (Class XII or equivalent) in 2018 should ensure that, (a) all parts of their final examination are completed by the date of registration in respective admitting institute, and (b) proof of having passed the qualifying examination with required eligibility is submitted by September 30, 2018 to the admitting institute.
If a qualifying examination Board awards only letter grades without providing information on the passing grade on the grade sheet, the candidate should obtain a certificate from the Board specifying the passing grade and upload it along with the grade sheet. In case such a certificate is not provided, the decision taken by the B. Des Admissions Committee will be final.
The criteria, as specified above, is applicable “in toto” to all the applicants including foreign nationals. Applications from foreign nationals including OCI (Overseas Citizen of India)/ PIO (People of Indian Origin) card holders are considered under the open category and they are outside the ambit of reservation of seats under the OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD categories. Seats allotted to foreign nationals are supernumerary. However seats allotted to OCI/PIO candidates are not supernumerary.
Cities where UCEED 2018 will be held
UCEED 2018 will be held in the following 20 cities in India:
Candidates should compulsorily opt 3 cities of their choice, in the order of preference, at the time of online application. Once the application is submitted, request for change of city will NOT be entertained under any circumstances.
If enough number of candidates are not available in a listed city, then that city may be dropped from the final list, and those candidates will be allotted a centre in the city of either their second choice or third choice. Additionally, because of operational contingencies, the UCEED 2018 Committee reserves the right to add a new city/town or remove an existing one and allot a city/town that may not be among any of the choices of a candidate.
A listed city may have more than one examination centre. A request for change of a centre within the same city/town will NOT be permitted under any circumstances.
Exam Pattern :
- There will be ONE question paper of 3 hours duration.
- The question paper will be in English
- The question paper will be administered through a computer based test.
- The question paper will carry a total of 300 marks.
- The question paper will consist of 3 sections.
- SECTION A: Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions. For these questions, the answer is a number that needs to be entered using a virtual keyboard in the computer screen. No choices will be shown for these questions. Each correct answer will be awarded 4 marks. There is NO NEGATIVE marks for this section. Questions not attempted will be given zero mark.
- SECTION B: Multiple Select Questions (MSQ). Each MSQ has ONE OR MORE correct answer(s) out of the four given choices. The candidate gets 4 marks only if ALL the correct choices and NO wrong choices are selected. There is NO NEGATIVE or PARTIAL marks for this section. Questions not attempted will be given zero mark.
- SECTION C: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ). Each MCQ has four choices out of which ONLY ONE is the correct answer. There is NEGATIVE marking for this section. Each correct answer will be awarded 3 marks and each wrong answer will be awarded –1 (minus one) mark. Questions not attempted will be given zero mark.
- Start date for Online Registration : October 09, 2017
- Last date for Online Registration with regular fee : November 10, 2017
- Last date for Online Registration with late fee : November 17, 2017
- Start date for Admit Card downloading : December 25, 2017 onwards
- Last date for rectification of discrepancies in the admit card : January 05, 2018
- UCEED 2018 Examination : Saturday January 20, 2018
- Release of Draft Answer Key : January 27, 2018
- Last date for sending Comments about Draft Answer Key : January 31,2018
- Declaration of result : February 18, 2018
- Start date for Score Card downloading : February 18, 2018
- Application for B. Des. programme : June 08 to 23, 2018
- Seat allotment round 1 : July 02, 2018
- Seat allotment round 2 : July 09, 2018
- Seat allotment round 3 : July 14, 2018
The candidates can register through online www.uceed.in. The complete process for registering application online is shown below.
Application form for Admission
Only UCEED 2018 qualified students can apply for admission to the B. Des programme at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, and IIITDM Jabalpur for the academic year 2018-2019. The 3 institutes will have a common application form for admissions to their respective B. Des programmes. The JEE (Advanced), UCEED & CEED Office, IIT Bombay will process the common application form and carry out the joint seat allocation process. The common application form is available through the IIT Bombay Admissions Portal. Applicants will be able to fill in their personal particulars and select institutes of their choice by indicating the order of preference.
The B. Des application processing fee for applicants of all category and gender is Rupees 1000 (One Thousand Indian Rupees).
The application can be submitted after paying the application processing fee, uploading digital copies of relevant supporting documents, and uploading the signed copy of the completed application form (first page only). Detailed instructions on each step of the application process are provided within the online application form.
The supporting documents required for application are digital copies of Photo, Signature, UCEED Score Card, Qualifying Examination Mark Sheet (Class XII or equivalent), and where applicable, OBC-NCL/SC/ST Certificate, PwD Certificate, and OCI/PIO Card.
Applicants will be able to edit their application form, including the order of preference of institutes and resubmit it, till the closing date of the application period. However after the closing date, all applications are treated as FINAL. Requests for ANY changes in the application will be strictly NOT entertained.
It will entirely be the responsibility of the candidate to provide the correct information regarding the qualifying exam and category, and upload the correct documents in the required formats in the application form. Application forms, incomplete in any way, will be summarily rejected and the application will be considered invalid. The admitting institutes have the right to cancel, at any stage, the admission of a candidate in accordance with the rules and regulations in force, if it is found that any information provided by the candidate is incorrect or the application is incomplete.
Registration Fee for UCEED 2018
Following is the registration fee structure for UCEED 2018.
- Rs. 1000 (plus GST) for all women candidates.
- Rs. 1000 (plus GST) for SC/ST/PwD candidates.
- Rs. 2000 (plus GST) for all other candidates.
- The above registration fee is applicable till the closing date of 10 November 2017, 23:45 hours.
- A late fee of Rs.500 (plus GST) is applicable to ALL candidates for registrations done after the above, and till the late registration closing date of 17 November 2017, 23:45 hours.
- Detailed instructions related to the payment of registration fee are given on the online registration portal.
Your bank may levy additional processing or card fees.
The exam will have questions from the following six topics:
VISUALIZATION AND SPATIAL ABILITY
Pictorial and diagrammatic questions to test: understanding of transformation and/or manipulation of 2D shapes and 3D objects and their spatial relationships; knowledge of practical and everyday mechanical and scientific concepts.
OBSERVATION AND DESIGN SENSITIVITY
Ability to detect concealed properties in ordinary things, people, situations, and events, and thinking critically about them. Applying attention to certain details, analysing, reasoning, classifying, inferring and predicting. Ability to discern subtle differences in visual properties and aesthetic outcomes.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL AWARENESS
General awareness of environmental factors such as climate, population, water, vegetation, pollution, weather, natural resources etc., and their implications on the design of products, images, infrastructure and environment. Awareness of social and cultural connection with design, history of the designed artefact, and socially responsible and environmentally sustainable design responses. History of art, sculpture and literature.
ANALYTICAL AND LOGICAL REASONING
Ability to look at information, be it qualitative or quantitative in nature, and discern patterns within the information. Ability to weigh opinions, arguments or solutions against appropriate criteria. Ability to check for hidden bias or hidden assumptions and whether evidence and argument support conclusions. Ability to use logic and structured thinking to deduce from a short passage, which of a number of statements is the most accurate response to a posed question. Data Interpretation, brainteasers, and patterns.
LANGUAGE AND CREATIVITY
Ability to understand and use Standard English. Reading comprehension, knowledge of English grammar such as sentence structure and usage, the use of tenses, verb patterns, articles, and active and passive constructions, etc. & vocabulary skills. Ability to think creatively in terms of alternatives, ability to distinguish innovative options and think out of the box.
DESIGN THINKING AND PROBLEM SOLVING
Ability to use visual analogies, metaphors, signs and symbols. Ability to understand complexity, identify problem, generate alternatives, evaluate options and select solutions.
Minimum prescribed marks for inclusion in the rank list:
Minimum % of marks in each Section
Minimum Total Marks
Seats Available For Academic Year 2018-2019
The following table shows category-wise distribution of the available seats in Bachelor of Design (B.Des) programmes at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati and IIITDM Jabalpur for the academic year 2018-2019:
The joint seat allotment will be governed by the following rules:
- If the selected candidates do not remit the seat acceptance fee before the given deadline or decline the admission, their application will stand cancelled. These vacant seats will be filled during the subsequent rounds of seat allotment.
- If an applicant is allotted his/her FIRST choice of institute, the candidate can either ACCEPT (‘freeze’) the choice or DECLINE the offer.
- If an applicant is allotted his/her SECOND or THIRD choice of institute, the candidate can opt to either ACCEPT (‘freeze’) the choice, or ACCEPT WITH THE OPTION TO BE CONSIDERED FOR UPWARD MOVEMENT (‘float’) the choice for subsequent round(s), if any, of the joint seat allocation.
- In the ‘freezing’ option, candidates ACCEPT the offer and indicate that they do not want to participate in further rounds of seat allocation. Such candidates will NOT be considered in subsequent rounds of admission.
- In the ‘floating’ option, candidates ACCEPT the offered seat and indicate that, if admission to an institute of his/her higher preference is offered, they will accept it. Else, they will continue with the currently accepted institute. Such candidates will be considered in subsequent rounds of admission.
- For candidates who choose the ‘float’ option, allocation of a seat in an institute of his/her higher preference would automatically result in the forfeiture of the seat accepted by him/her in the earlier round.
- Candidates offered seats have to remit seat acceptance fee only once. Thus candidates who are allotted another seat (because they chose the ‘float’ option) do not have to pay seat acceptance fee again.
- For candidates who accept offered seat, the seat acceptance fee will be adjusted against the institute fees of the admitting institute at the time of joining. For candidates who decline the offered seat after remitting the seat acceptance fee, the refund will be governed by the policies of the admitting institute.
- If a candidate has paid the seat accepting fee and opts for withdrawal either during the end of first round or before the end of second round, will get full refund after deducting the processing charges of Rs. 1000/-. No refund will be allowed after the end of last round. No refund is given post 3rd round, as there exists no option of "float" of the seats after the 3rd round
Candidates whose registration is complete in all aspects will be able to download the admit card for UCEED 2018 from the registration portal (www.uceed.iitb.ac.in) from the date specified below.
The admit card will bear the following details of the candidate: Name, UCEED registration ID, Roll Number for UCEED 2018, photograph, signature, examination schedule, examination centre details and instructions to candidates.
Candidates should carefully examine the entries in the admit card and in case of any discrepancy, contact the Chairman JEE (Advanced), UCEED & CEED 2018 at IIT Bombay before the specified date via email mentioned in the registration portal.
In case the admit card is not available for downloading, the candidate should contact the Chairman, JEE (Advanced), UCEED & CEED 2018 at IIT Bombay immediately via email or phone (See contact).
A printed copy of the downloaded admit card should be produced at the time of examination.
|Portal for downloading admit card||http://www.uceed.iitb.ac.in|
|Admit card downloading||25th December, 2017 onwards|
|Last date for rectification of discrepancies in the admit card||5th January, 2018|